Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Love, maybe

I'm just smiling at myself. How funny it is that I finish writing a letter or an email and then I hesitate at the end. I'm uncertain whether to write "Love," "Best wishes," "Warmest regards." I have to go dig out the person's last letter from me and see what they put at the end of their letter. Did the write "Love,"? And sometimes I can feel a little dissappointed to see just "Warmest regards," or "Affectionaly."

So many times I would just write "Love," before my signature. But maybe the person I'm writing to only likes me. Maybe they just put "Take care," or "c'ya" at the end of their message.

What is that about? I smile at myself. I don't want to make the person uncomfortable by being more loving towards them than they are towards me? I want to appear just as cool about the relationship as they?

As I'm sitting there with my unfinished letter, I wonder about those daring, open hearted people who go around life putting "Love," at the bottom of their letters without consideration of how the person signed their last letter to them. They just put "Love," there on the paper, naked and unprotected, offering but not insisting that the sums of the tables be equal. How honest and straightforward.

3 Casrh Tset Reulst:

Blogger Kat said...

I know the feeling. Although I accidentally put "love" at the end of an email to by boss after being so used to typing it to everyone. Daring and open hearted can back-fire at times.

March 11, 2006 11:35 AM  
Blogger Zagu said...

I totally had to laugh at that. Jeez, when I think about some of the bosses I have had.
Ok, note taken. Thanks!

March 11, 2006 10:34 PM  
Blogger amadea's world said...

I learned in England, that the word "love" does not mean much. Even the busdriver, when you give him the money for a ticket, says "thanks, love".
The first time, I heard that word was in a pub and I thought, the bartender had fallen in love with me.
Well, I found out, he had not.
So, when I finish my English letters with "love", I do it automatically. If I want to express a deep feeling, I never write this word, I write - Thinking of you, my love..etc.
What about "regards"?
Confusing!

Love,
amadea :-)

March 12, 2006 3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home